Wednesday, February 11, 2015

What do you really love?

I love lots of things. I love people- the funny, jumbled-up piles of emotion, layers of thoughts and feelings, records of experiences (the good, the bad, and everything in between). I love summer- toes in the sand of our Gulf coast beaches, hot sun on my face, kissing my skin, and the way that everything slows down to a lazy summer pace. I love green tea- hot and sweetened with honey, sipping from a tiny mug or iced and shaken with apple juice, served in the largest glass I can find. I love feeling understood- the it's-ok-to-be-me-I-am-enough-you'll-still-stay-even-though-I-can-never-be-perfect feeling. I love hosting- people in my space, bumping elbows around a crowded table, food and wine flowing, the roar of laughter, the quiet sighs and tears of pain, the gift of togetherness and now and food.

Today I was thinking a lot about what I really love and what I really want. For me, those two go hand in hand- I really want the things that I really love to all intersect. I dream of a home with a big back yard and a greengreen garden, a kitchen well known to all my closest friends, a big table covered in crispy baguettes and cheeses and soup and wine and all kinds of other things that come together in the kitchen, and friends holding each other tightly and loosely all at the same time, kids zooming in and out of all the rooms. I love connecting, understanding, and really knowing. I'm beginning to understand that that's how God made me and I'm leaning in to that.

Tell me, what do you really love?

No comments:

Post a Comment